Monday, September 15, 2008

emergency medicine!

So right now i'm at an emergency/referral vet practice near milwaukee. This place is awesome!! the staff is helpful, the vets are great teachers, and i'm not only learning a ton but getting to do a lot of hands on stuff.

The techs have been great in letting me draw blood and place catheters, and teaching me how to improve my techniques. I've gotten to watch several surgeries including a splenectomy, liver lobectomy, and foreign body removal. I've sutured up a laceration by myself and fixed up two anal gland abscesses. I've also learned about disc disease, severe rodenticide toxicity, other toxicities, seen a lot of CPR, and a ton of other stuff. The hours are great at this place and allow me to be there during the busiest times of the day.

In a week i go to another practice where the hours are not very good and i hear it's just a step down from this place--but as long as i learn, i'll have a blast:)

yay for emergency medicine!

3 comments:

The Ethical Miss said...

ohohoh, are you west of the city or north of it?

schottski1 said...

i am at your old place of work i believe;)

The Ethical Miss said...

OK, cool, say hi to everyone for me.