Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Off to MA!

Sorry this entry is a little late--let's just pretend it's July 27th;)

Leaving The Wilds was sad, but getting back into wildlife rehab is going to be amazing!! I'm so excited!

I left Cumberland, OH at 7am saturday morning. I didn't stop to sight see, but i did stop often to walk around get a snack. Here are a couple of the more interesting signs i saw:



a) peace, love and bbq??? last time i checked, bbq contained slaughtered pig, which isn't exactly all about peace and love....ha
b) bbq is good....good thing they put it on the sign or i would have driven right by thinking bbq was bad.
c) there is a special place in my rage box just for cannibalistic marketing ploys. idiots.

so that was fun.

Later, i drove by one of those "road-side" zoos that are usually horrible, horrible places for animals to live. This one had a good outer appearance, but i was curious as to how horrible the living conditions were. I asked "Can i ask where you get your animals from?" She replies, "oh they've had a lot for a long time; i think they get a bunch from auctions and sales."
I can almost guarantee now that the enclosures are too small, the animals malnourished, and that there is no enrichment for the animals. But they wouldn't let me in with out paying $8, which is bs. So i grabbed a brochure with a revengeful look on my face. "Ha! That's $1.50 you'll never be seeing again!" take that stupid unregulated road-side zoo of misery.

As I drove through New York, I saw this sign and almost died:



Oh no, your glasses aren't dirty, you aren't having a dream and you are not intoxicated. New York has somehow known about me my whole life! A deli in my honor! The only problem is when i went inside, a beer-belly man with sweaty pits was manning the deli which was only a counter in a gas station and they didn't sell t-shirts. oh well; i guess everyday can't be "nay day".

And so, After 13 hours of driving I arrive in Grafton, MA. Not too exhausted, and very ready to get back into wildlife medicine!

No comments: